Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Our two and half year old male DSH cat is mewing pitifully

Our two and half year old male DSH cat is mewing pitifully and appears to be very lethargic, he is an indoor neutured cat. Can you help please ?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Harry.

I'm sorry that you have been waiting a while for an answer and I apologize for that. I suspect that is because yours is a difficult question.
It sounds like Harry is uncomfortable, but it may be difficult to pinpoint just what the problem is with just lethargy and increased vocalizations as symptoms.

Reasons for his discomfort range from lower urinary tract disease, including an obstruction, gastrointestinal upset from eating something that he should not have or a fever from an infection.

Has Harry successfully urinated in his litter box today?
Has he been in and out of his litter box today trying to pass urine? It is important to determine whether he still able to go, or whether he is straining without anything coming out.
Reasons for this behavior can be related to a urinary tract infection but more commonly in male cats, due to the small diameter of their urethra, this signifies a urinary tract blockage due to concentrated urine with increased levels of crystals and mucous in the urine leading to a plug developing in the urethra.

If he is not able to urinate at all this is a life threatening, true emergency as this causes back pressure on his kidneys, possible kidney failure, and electrolyte and blood acid/base imbalances which affect heart function.

If he is till able to pass some urine the best that you can do for him is get him examined as soon as possible but I also recommend pushing fluids however you can. Add warm water or clear broths to his canned food, offer tuna juice, force fluids orally with a medicine syringe. Whatever you can do to increase fluid intake, dilute his urine and flush out his urinary tract should be helpful.

But if he is unable to pass urine be aware that he will need to be sedated and catheterized and placed on intravenous fluids for a few days.

If he is urinating fine then you could try to take his rectal temperature to look for a fever. A normal rectal temperature in a cat is 100F to 102F, a fever is considered to be a rectal temperature greater then 103F.

If he has a normal temperature but isn't eating perhaps he has intestinal upset. At home to try and settle his stomach you can give either:
1)Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2)Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and should help him feel better.

I also recommend feeding a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, shredded white chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice. You can mix in low salt chicken broth or warm water to make the food softer and easier to eat and swallow.
If he continues to not eat he should see his veterinarian for an examination, intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Best of luck with Harry, please let me know if you have any further questions.