Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We have a 5 year old Staff cross in season. She has a watery

We have a 5 year old Staff cross in season. She has a watery milky discharge accompanying the usual menstral blood. Totally off all food for the 2nd day, head feels very hot, has been going out to the garden but apart from that not really moving around, breathing is periodically a bit laboured. Seeking advice please
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Tell me is Bailey drinking more than usual?

Customer:

No

Scott Nimmo :

Ok thanks for that .. there is some degree of possibility that bailey has a disease called Pyometra, please stand by and I will type up some more information for you

Scott Nimmo :

Cause: The cause of this disease is quite complex, it usually follows cystic endometrial hyperplasia which is a type of womb disease, this changes the internal environment of the womb and makes it prone to bacterial infections. Once the bacterial infection is established it goes wild and a full blown pyometra is the result.

Scott Nimmo :

Clinical Signs: [Symptoms] These dogs will be lethargic, will have no appetite. Some will have a vaginal discharge which the owners regard as a continuation of heat these cases are called an open pyometra, you may see them licking at their vagina, others will have no vaginal discharge and these are termed closed pyometras.

Scott Nimmo :

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that Pyometra is a very serious disease so if there is the slightest chance your dog may be affected you should have her checked over without delay just to be on the safe side.

Scott Nimmo :

The main treatment for this disease is an immediate hysterectomy operation [ Spay ]. It differs from a normal spay operation in that as the dog is usually quite sick you need to provide additional support like putting it on a drip and a higher level of post operative care.

Customer: Would it be detrimental to Bailey to leave this until the morning? I would prefer she saw her regular vet
Customer: Thank you for the advice
Scott Nimmo :

In most cases you would be taking very little risk in waiting overnight as long as she does not deteriorate and another factor is if surgery is necessary then it may be best carried out during normal working hours when the vet is fresh and alert and of course it is better with a vet that you know or trust. Do not leave it beyond tomorrow morning though and use an ER vet if you become further concerned ...