Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my two year old yorkie has red fiery skin with red freckles

my two year old yorkie has red fiery skin with red freckles in certain areas, the condition comes and goes but I cant pinpoint the cause. his mummy daddy and sister are all fine. what can I do?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

So you have a number of dogs in the same house but the other dog's skins are all OK?

Customer:

yes I have four yorkies and a poole all of which are fine

Customer:

poodle

Customer:

I also have a dove and bugie if that is relevant

Scott Nimmo :

Thanks for the info, that rules out infectious skin conditions such as sarcoptic mange, the birds are no problem by the way

Scott Nimmo :

If you exclude infectious skin diseases such as sarcoptic mange then you are often left with a diagnosis of Atopic dermatitis, this is basically an allergic dermatitis and the treatment option broadly speaking would be :

Scott Nimmo :

1. Some cases of atopy are due to an allergy to a small protein in the saliva of the flea which the flea passes when it bites. Stringent flea control is a must not only on your dog but in the house as well. Where a dog is hypersensitive only a couple of bites may be enough to trigger a massive skin reaction.

Scott Nimmo :

2. It can be an allergy to components of the diet so consider a hypo allergenic diet, your vet will advise, there are a few on the market. If you go down this road your dog will have to be fed only this and water and it may take six weeks for this approach to show any signs of success.

Scott Nimmo :

3. Other allergies are more difficult such as to pollen or house dust mites, these dogs can be maintained on drugs such as antihistamines, steroids or atopica. Antibiotics may also be required in the early stages.

Customer:

to be honest the vet hasn't been very helpful, antibiotics and steroids were prescribed and worke during the course but imedietly returned.

Scott Nimmo :

The botXXXXX XXXXXne? If you are dealing with atopy which is as we said an allergic skin disease { and very common indeed in the dog } then it is best to have a vet check your dog over as prescription drugs will be the best way to sort this out quickly.

Scott Nimmo :

The problem with this disease is that if you stop the drugs then the disease will often just come back so you have to use a low weekly maintenance dose after the initial treatment. also consider the hyo-allergenic diet if this is the cause then it can bring about a complete cure.

Scott Nimmo :

Where dogs are affected with allergic skins it is very important to keep them free of fleas, a commercial hypo-allergenic diet can also sometimes help { your vet will advise } as we have said and supplements such as evening primrose oil given on a daily basis have also been shown to help in conjunction with the other treatments.

Scott Nimmo :

I have known evening primrose oil to make a big difference you can get it from larger pet shops and from human health shops.

Scott Nimmo :

Just use it at about on etenth of the human dose for a small dog like yours

Customer:

what is a hypo allergenic diet?

Customer:

do u mean to use the oil on his skin or orally?

Scott Nimmo :

This is a prescription diet especially for dogs will allergic skins as some dogs are allergic to components in normal dog diets, they typicall contain ingredients not normally given to dogs such as duck and rice. you can get them from your vet or better pet shops.

Scott Nimmo :

Primrose oil is given orally ...

Scott Nimmo :

Back to the diet, this can take up to six weeks to work and you have to make sure your dog only gets that and water ...

Customer:

thankyou very much for your help mr nimmo

Scott Nimmo :

you have to feed your dog on something so it may as well be one of the special diets ...

Scott Nimmo :

Itchy skins in dogs can be very frustrating for both the owner and the dog so you have to attack it on all fronts,I am sure your vet will know about these special diets and the evening primrose oil.