Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My horse is a 26 year old gelding, he has a very swollen sheath

Customer Question

My horse is a 26 year old gelding, he has a very swollen sheath which he does get when he is stood In but he also had a swelling under his belly like to swollen lines on each side he is happy and eating normally what could this be?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This swelling you see is due to either fly bites or this swelling in the sheath that moves to the lower areas due to gravity. This is not unusual and will not harm Raffles. You should check his sheath and penis for a bean or clean his sheath that can cause this swelling. Since this is late in the year, you probably do not have many flies but this line could form an abscess so watch for this.'

In most cases, this will not harm Raffles and is only secondary to the swollen sheath.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Melissa for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Raffles condition.