Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dogs are working spaniels, and I have just been informed

My dogs are working spaniels, and I have just been informed that one of the dogs on Saturdays' shoot has gone down with kennel cough. Is it too late to have my dogs vaccinated now? They probably had little close contact with the infected dog, and only in an open air environment.

Thanks and best regards.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

The situation is this, kennel cough spreads by aerosol spread, that means in most cases a dog has to be actually coughing { and so producing an aerosol containing the bacteria or virus } before the disease can spread.

Scott Nimmo :

If this dog was not coughing on Saturday's shoot then this can be taken as a good sign and means it is unlikely that your dogs will contract the disease.

Scott Nimmo :

However if they are already incubation the disease the chances are the vaccine will not be a protection although some vets believe that it can help in the very early stages of incubating the disease.

Scott Nimmo :

I think under the circumstances it would be as well to have your dogs vaccinated as if one dog in the shoot already has the disease then others may contract it over the next few weeks and your dogs could be exposed.

Customer:

How soon after vaccination do the dogs start to get protection and how effective is the vaccination

Hello again,

1. With a vaccine like this protection does follow very quickly, within three or four days in most case.

2. However kennel cough is a group disease and has a number of causes some bacterial and some viral, the vaccine gives good protection against the main forms of the disease but there is a slim chance that your dogs have been exposed to a form not covered by the vaccine.

However I would say the vaccine is still worth a try in your situation though.

Regards,

Scott