Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My patterdale has had a cough for about a year it is now very

Customer Question

My patterdale has had a cough for about a year it is now very bad and is affecting his breathing he is a mature dog aged 13
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Peri. A persistent cough at his age is worrisome for advancing heart failure, chronic bronchitis, a slowly worsening cancer in his chest, or French heartworm disease (lungworm) if you live in a lungworm endemic area of the UK.

Peri's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam paying particular attention to auscultating (listening to) his heart and lungs and then will recommend X-rays of Peri's chest in order to clarify his suspicions. We have quite effective medications for everything I've mentioned above. A cancer would be most problematic but perhaps palliative therapy would be of value.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.