Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

Hello, My girlfriends dog, a Malamute, had her rear left

My girlfriends dog, a Malamute, had her rear left cruciate ligament replaced last year. Now, just a few days ago the right rear ligament snapped. We have an appointment this coming Friday for possible surgery which will mean 7 days between the new break and possible repair... Our concern is that the previous injury is bearing the weight and may break. The dog is only moving about in the house to toilet and eat, but we are very concerned that the weight bearing on her leg which had the previous surgery is at risk of damage.

We would like to slow her down - i mean basically dope her up so she is less active for the next few days.

Can you advise us on our concerns for the previously damaged leg and should we give her something to calm her down, the dog not us, ha ha.

Thanks,

Patrick.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello Patrick, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of Shadow's unfortunate condition. You are quite right in being concerned about the repaired leg having to handle all the weight that the damaged leg would have borne, but in my experience, repaired legs are quite strong and durable, and will most likely be able to stand up to the strain. Do not let her run loose outdoors, and if she's excitable, you may even want to tether her on a leash indoors as well to prevent her from running, should someone ring the doorbell or otherwise get her going. Slippery flooring is especially hazardous to knees.
She should be okay, but if you still think you'd like to give something to calm down, Dramamine is a good mild sedative. The dose is 1 mg per pound body weight, given every 6 to 8 hours as needed. This medication is safe and fairly effective in causing some degree of calming and sedation, probably enough to get all of you through the next few days. You can even give Shadow some, if you'd like! :o)
If you should have any further questions, please let me know.
Kind regards,
Dr. Bob