Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I wonder if you can help. My dog took ill on Friday and I took

Customer Question

I wonder if you can help. My dog took ill on Friday and I took him to the vet suspecting gas and my suspicions were righ. My ddog was in tremendous pain in his abdomen and was hunched over. I took him to an emergency vet who gave him some pain relief. My dog cried through the night and when he tried to get up, he collapsedd. We took him back to the vet on the Saturday. They did two x-rays and gave him 2 IV drips. He had become dehydrayed and toxins had built up in his system putting stress on his kidneys. He seemed a bit peekier when he came home Saturday night but was not 100%. He slept all night apart from when I took him the toilet. On sunday he refused food and water. I kept pipetting water onto his mouth through the day and checked he was hydrated by pinching loose skin to check it rebound. Dog started eating again on Monday but only small amounts. He is only drinking small amounts of water also. He has been to the vet again today for a blood test and I'm waiting the results. He has extremely low blood pressure on Saturday morning. Today (Monday) he is back to being unsteady on his feet. He hasn't defected much but he is passing urine. I know he is in good hands with my vet but they don't know what's causing these problems. He's not being sick. He doesn't have the diagnostic symptoms that go with most illnesses. The x-ray showed the gas moved along his intestines. Have any of you come across this type of thing before? Or do you have any idea what this could be. He's a 9 year old Siberian Husky wand has only had a urine infection and ear infection in his history. Thank you for any advice. I'm worried sick.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he vomiting?
2- Can you describe how he is walking as far as being wobbly?
3- What are the names of the medications he is on?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr Peter,

He vomited once following the IV and his vet said this is normal. He was given a morphine based pain killer as oppose to anti inflammatories on Friday. This is the only medication he has had.

He is walking tentatively. He got up earlier today and stumbled to the ground. He then tried to stand up and stumbled again. He is normally very coordinated, never failing to catch a ball. He did collapse Friday night when he had gas in his intestines, when his abdomen was very tight and hard (normally soft to the touch). He seems okay and then he's not. His symptomatology just doesn't make sense to myself or my vet and I'm very worried as you can imagine.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Leanne, gas in the gastrointestinal tract will not cause motor dysfunction. I don't believe the symptoms that you are seeing in Kieva are related to gas. When a dog arche's the back as you describe it is a sign of either abdominal pain or back pain. The fact that he is having motor problems it is very likely this is secondary to neuromuscular problems like a pinch nerve as a result of a bulging disc along the back. Though xrays are helpful in many different conditions they do a poor job evaluating a bulging disc. You see, a disc is made up soft tissue and xrays do not differentiate very well soft tissues. To diagnose he would need advance imaging like MRI or Myelogram. Another possibility could be pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas).
I would recommend you discuss with your veterinarian about checking his blood work for pancreatitis and consider doing an abdominal ultrasound. If these test are normal then it is fair to say this is related to a pinch nerve as described above. Discuss with your vet about a trial with corticosteroids, continue on pain killers as directed by family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr Peter,

Thank you for your advice. I suspected that about the X-ray not picking up discs etc. I feel my vets facilities are a little limited so I may ask for a referral for an ultrasound and MRI. They are checking his blood work for pancreatitis. He is only 9 years old, not over the hill yet so I will do all I can to get him better.

Thank you for your help, time and advice.

With best wishes.

Leanne Hunter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Leanne.