Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have a gimmer lamb 8 month old seems to have developed a

Customer Question

I have a gimmer lamb 8 month old seems to have developed a runny nose and has what looks like a bleeding lump/spot at the inside of her nose at the end shes eating but very quiet stands alone alot used terramycin on the nose thinking it might be orf but what worrys me is this runny nose as you can hear her sniffing all the time.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This runny nose along with the lumps tells me that she is starting an Upper Respiratory Infection. These lesions in the nose may be due to her suppressed immune system that is caused by this infection. Check to see if she is running a fever (over 104 F) and if she is, start her on Pencillin G daily or Naxcel which you can get from your vet,. These will usually require systemic antibiotics as well as a aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs if she is runny a fever. This Aggressive treatment can keep her from getting worse to a pneumonia.

Orf does not appear as an abscess so I doubt that this is the cause but just in case, isolate her form the others.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta