Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog has developed a red rash which started on the left side

Customer Question

My dog has developed a red rash which started on the left side of her stomach and is now spreading up to her chest with one area being a red circle the size of a penny, do you know what this could be?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does the rash have any crusting, pustules, pimples or ulcers associated with it?

Does the penny sized lesion appear raised (example)?

Has your dog been in contact with anything new in her environment (ie new food, carpet or laundry powder, bees or wasps, etc)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is no crusting or pimples just a red area that is spreading up to her chest, the circle is not raised and she has not been in contact with anything new.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

Just one more question (since it wouldn't be right to assume), is this rash itchy for her?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not itchy
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, Carolyn.

Now I have quite a bit to type back to you. So, this will take me a few minutes to do so. Therefore, please don't think I have abandoned you.

In the meantime, if possible, I am wondering if you could take a photo of this rash to let me see what you are seeing. If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar. Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, etc) and paste the web address here.

Speak to you soon,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Having trouble sending a photo - do u know what it could be anyway?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

My apologies for the delay in reply, it seems our discussion thread was closed by mistake. This prevented me from replying to you. I put in a request to the website and they have only just reopened it now.

Anyway, as I am sure you can appreciate, there are a wide range of agents that can cause spreading erythematous rashes on the skin of our dogs. This includes allergies but also bacterial infections, fungal disease, parasitic mites, and even some hormonal diseases (those these are less likely for a young dog). Therefore, when we approach these cases, we do have to channel our inner Sherlock Holmes and rule out each potential differential.

Now with the lack of crusting, pustules, pimples or itching, bacterial pyoderma would be less likely here. Furthermore, with her lack or associated itchiness, mites like scabies would again be put to the bottom of our list of potential agents affecting her.

In regards to what would top our list with her signs, the most common causes of non-itchy progressive skin disease will be ringworm and demodicosis (a mite infection). As well, we could also see this type of presentation with bacterial infections that are limited to just the hair follicles (bacterial folliculitis). So, these would be my concerns for her. Therefore, if the injection that was given doesn’t settle her signs, then you may want to speak to her vet about performing a skin scrape (to rule out demodex mites) +/- a hair pluck (to culture any ringworm present). Depending on the results of these tests, the vet will be able to prescribe specific medication to address the culprit for her non-itchy skin rash.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )