Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hi I have flea treated my cats with Frontline twice in the

Hi I have flea treated my cats with Frontline twice in the last 2 months, but I can still see flea dirt in their fur, although I have not seen actual fleas. Should I try a different product instead?
thanks
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about trying to get rid of fleas on your cats.

First realize that only 5% of the flea population live on your cats, the rest is in the environment.
You need to vaccuum your home throughly to remove as many eggs and larvae as possible. Concentrate on cracks and crevices, along baseboards, under furniture and areas where they like to sleep and eggs and larvae are at their highest numbers. Vacuum daily and throw away the bag.

You also need to use effective products on your cat. I recommend either Frontline Plus or Advantage ll as they are effective and safe products. If you have been using Frontline for a while then perhaps switching to Advantage is a good idea. Do not bother with over the counter products, they are neither effective nor safe in many instances. Flea preventatives should be applied every 3 weeks if you have a young, healthy cats in a problem situation as the effectiveness does wane a little after 3 weeks.

I also recommend treating the home environment with a product that has an adulticide (kills adult fleas) as well as an insect growth regulator to stop egg and larvae from developing. A great product is Siphotrol II Plus Premise spray. I like it because it has an insect growth regulator as well as an adulticide. You can spray it under furniture and into cracks crevices and along baseboards where fleas and their offspring hide. It should be used every 2 weeks and no vacuuming for 2 to 3 days after using it to allow it to settle in. Here is a link to show you the product: http://www.amazon.com/Siphotrol-Plus-Premise-Spray-16oz/dp/B000RGKX7M

The trouble with foggers is that they don't go under furniture or penetrate cracks and crevices so they just aren't effective where they need to be. And they end up in the air where they are nasal irritants for animals and people alike.

Your other option is to have a professional exterminator treat your home and outdoors if your kitties go outside. Ask for a guarantee and make sure that the products they use don't contain organophosphates and do have an adulticide and an insect growth regulator.
The key with flea treatment is consistency, not stopping too quickly, and using effective products.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.