Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

I THOUGHT MY LARGE TOM CAT HAD DIABETES BUT NOW IAM NOT SURE

Customer Question

I THOUGHT MY LARGE TOM CAT HAD DIABETES BUT NOW IAM NOT SURE .IT BEGAN AFEW WEEKS BACK WHEN HE WAS VERY QIUET AND RESTING RATHER THAN SLEEPING.HE'SDRINKING LOADS AND URINATING INDOORS.HAVING BEEN OVERWEIGHT WHEN I RESCUED HIM HE GRADUALLY LOST A LITTLE BUT NOW IS LOSING LOTS ALTHOUGH EATING PLENTY AND SEEMS HIS OLD CHEERY SELF, QUITE PLAYFUL IN FACT!I HAVE TO GO INTO HOSPITAL FOR A FEW DAYS OUT ABOUT EVERY FIVE WEEKS AND I KNOW HE MISSES ME ALTHOUGH A NEIGHOUR CARES FOR HIM. DO YOU THINK HE SHOULD BE ON MEDICATION EVEN THO' HE SEEMS WELL.P.S HE HAS .A SMELL OFTEN WHICH IS NEW ITHINK HE IS ABOUT 12
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm here to help you. Thanks so much for your question.

Dr. Barbara :

Jeffery could very well have diabetes, but Jeffrey is in the age group where hyperthyroidism, kidney disease, and urinary tract infections are also quite possible. The way to differentiate between these and get a diagnosis is for Jeffrey to have a blood profile test and a urinalysis.

Dr. Barbara :

Then with a solid diagnosis, treatment would be specific for his needs. Polyuria and polydipsia (urinating a lot and drinking a lot) are signs of disease, and now when he is feeling so well is the best time uncover a likely problem and to initiate treatment.