Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Can micro-chipping in a dog cause nerve damage? Our Patterdale

Customer Question

Can micro-chipping in a dog cause nerve damage? Our Patterdale terrier had a chip implant several weeks ago and now has nerve problems in the area of injection - symptoms of a slipped disc/ trapped nerve. X-rays have shown no obvious damage but dog is in agony when he moves.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Toby. There's no mechanism for a chip to cause such problems. It's made of non-reactive stainless steel and inserted subcutaneously in an area in which no major blood vessels or nerves are located.

Toby does sound as if he suffers from degenerative disk disease. In many cases changes are subtle or absent in X-rays and we have to MRI these patients - particularly if surgery is contemplated. Many of us will presumptive treat for a "slipped disk" if the history and our physical exam strongly suggests a disk even if X-ray findings are absent. Conservative care involves not only narcotic pain relief but potent antiinflammatory medication in the form of corticosteroids such as prednisone or nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs such as carprofen or meloxicam as well as muscle relxants such as diazepam or methocarbamol. Exercise restriction is essential in an attempt to prevent our patient from hurting himself further.

Most dogs will remiss within three weeks. Worsening, however, in the form of paresis (weakness) or paralysis suggests the need for surgical decompression of the spinal cord.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.