Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

How much does it cost to do a spleenectomy?

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The cost of a Splenectomy ranges between $700- 1500 depending on where you live and the time it takes for this procedure.

With Spider's history, I do nto see why she would require this procedure.It appears that Spider has a digestive disturbance and other diagnostics will be required to find the cause for this regurgitation of the hard foods. Neurologic issues can cause this as well as a megaesophagus and other conditions.

This LINK explains in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she has been on antipepsin medication the last few days as they thought it was the esophagus but with todays scans they can't see any tumour or growth there either or in the stomach so they have decided on the spleen but I am not convinced we are due to go in and pick her up soon and discuss with the vet where we go from here

Hi Alison....the spleen is usually removed when there is a mass, or a lymoph node issue since this is basically a lymph node,. I do nto understand why your vet wants to remove the spleen so ask so you understand.

A neurologic issue can cause problems with the esophagus and since no masses or tumors found, this may be the cause. More diagnostics should be done to find the problem for Spider's issues.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they want to open her up and have a look inside to see if there might be a problem with the spleen does the spleen have anything to do with the digestive system? when you mention neurologic issues how would we explore this?

An exploratory is a good way to rule out other issues and take a good look at the spleen...this has nothing to do with the digestive tract so I doubt there is a problem here,.Alison.

Neurologic issues are diagnosed by everything else being ruled out....steroids are often given to decrease inflammation no release the nerve supply that may be compressed by Arthritis ir another injury.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have collected spider and been given some anti biotics for the stomach. vet said she could see 2-3cm of lump on the spleen from an ultra sound scan and x rays but in some cases these could be benign. I couldn't understand why this might be causing her to be sick as the dog is very happy in herself not whining as if in pain. when she has been ill she is absolutely fine after and would think there is nothing wrong with her. What I can't understand is why she reacts so quickly to dry food with in such a short time of eating it. if we just give her tinned food and rice no biscuits most of the time is stays down.

This lump may be something or it could be scar tissue...this would not cause her regurgitation from hard foods. Perhaps, Alisdon, you should try pepcid AC at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs to see if thsi will help Spider keep the food down and try to feed her in an elevated position so her esophagus can move the food by gravity...just a thought....