Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have 2 XXXXX XXXXX cross dogs 1 yr old both from same litter.

Customer Question

I have 2 XXXXX XXXXX cross dogs 1 yr old both from same litter. They have both been castrated but have started to fight when I first let them out to go for a walk, it seems like it is related to who gets out the door first? It is upsetting as they have drawn blood and I can't separate them as both engrossed in fight and they tend to bite each other around the eyes piercing the skin on each others cheeks.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that your dogs are having this trouble. This is most likley due to a dominance issue and this causes extreme anxiety. The treatment for this is as follows:

Keep them separate for 1-2 weeks while feeding them and letting them out separate. Place a DAP Collar on both dogs which is a canine pheromnone that acts as a cakming agent and will decrease this anxiety. After the period of separation, take them out together on leashes , giving each treats when they behave and praise them loudly when they do teh right things. If there is any sign of aggression, carry a coke can wth pennies and when you see thsi baad behjavior, shakle the can loudly and say a strong NO! They will get the idea.

Your vet has stronger meidcations to help if this is not enough....2-3 weeks on the meidcation is usually enough to get them past this aggression.

Good Luck!

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta