Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My Hungarian Vizla has lost her appetite and a significant

Customer Question

My Hungarian Vizla bitch has lost her appetite and a significant amount of weight over the last couple of weeks. Still not eating well and drinking loads of water...what do you think?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Drinking excessively and a reduced appetite such as you describe would unfortunately always be a cause for concern in the dog ...

Scott Nimmo :

I have seen many cases over the years where the final diagnosis has ended up as one of the following ...

Scott Nimmo :

1. Diabetes mellitus
2. Diabetes insipidus
3. Kidney problems
4. Chronic hepatitis
5. Cushings syndrome

Scott Nimmo :

And these are just a few common ones, other diagnosis are possible ...

Scott Nimmo :

Since there is such a range of diagnosis the only advice I can give you is that you should have your dog checked over by your vet sooner rather than later. There is rarely any scope for home remedies in this sort of situation. A quick blood test will very often shed light on the matter.

Scott Nimmo :

I hope I am wrong and this is something very minor but as I say the combination of reduced appetite and weight loss and excessive drinking will ring alarm bells in the mind of the average vet.

Scott Nimmo :

Can you tell me if she has been spayed?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Scott she was spayed v early on... As soon as was practicable
Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further ..

Well that's good that she has been spayed because it rules out womb diseases such as pyometra which can present with some of those symptoms but I am still concerned about things like diabetes or kidney disease.

The way forward would be an examination from your vet and more than likely a quick blood test. The blood tests these days can cover most of those diseases at one go.

Good luck,

Scott