Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent).
9138059

My dog (lab age two) vomited its food last night , during the

Customer Question

My dog (lab age two) vomited its food last night , during the night and today it's been bile,but tonight it's vomited what looks and smells like poo in with the bile,she's been very lethargic since the vomiting started
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name is Dr Edwards and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info about

- How is Daisy in herself right now? Does she seem quite lethargic?
- Is Daisy able to keep water down?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When she's taking water it's coming back quite quick and she's quite lethargic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have been giving her water and she is bringing back up quick and she's lethargic
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 years ago.
Hi there Lynne,

Thanks for your quick reply. These symtpoms really are quite worrying Lynne, and my main concern is that Daisy will quickly become dehydrated if she can't keep water down. As you can imagine, there are a number of potential causes for this vomiting and lethargy including anything from an acute gastroenteritis to a toxicity, to a foreign body obstruction or even gastrointestinal parasites.

As above - the main concern currently is that she will quickly become dehydrated if she can't keep water down. Do continue to try and encourage her to drink fresh water if you can. If this is coming straight back up, then you are better off getting Daisy down to your local ER Vet where they can keep an eye on her, place an IV line and start her on fluids to rehydrate her. You are also best off with holding all food from her for now, and perhaps if she improves, then start her on a bland diet from tomorrow morning. For this, cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and white rice is ideal .

For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is seems to be breathing rapidly throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.