DrRalston
DrRalston, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over twelve years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
47051559

My 1 year old african grey has had a red watery swollen eye

Customer Question

My 1 year old african grey has had a red watery swollen eye on and of 4 2 months. It has come and gone. But now it has come back worse. I have noticed that she is pullin out her back neck area feathers where she is wipeing her eye. She is eating and drinking well and still chatty but her eye is worrying me and there is no bird vets in the area. What can I do to help her
Expert:  DrRalston replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Ralston.

Sorry your question was open for so long. I was looking back through old questions logs left by other vets, and it appears that this question may have fallen behind and gotten lost. There are not a lot of bird Vets on Just Answer. And so sometimes, unfortunately, this is possible.

So, I thought I would write to see if Angel has continued to have this eye problem?

This happens in African greys' a lot. It can happen if they have been feather plucking or over grooming. In this case, they might loose all their feathers. However, in the case of avian conjunctivitis (like pink eye), usually it is just on the side where the eye is itchy.

Does it look like this ?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Rarely, a patient will require antibiotics for the eye. Chlamydia is a common bacteria that infects the eyes. It affects cats as well, and the treatment is similar, so a local vet that sees cats should be able to also prescribe medications for you.

A homeopathic remedy for eye irritation in parrots has been described:

"One holistic treatment for swollen or bruised eyes due to minor eye trauma was described in the Avian Health forum. Darlene puts 1 to 2 drops 99.9% plain pure aloe vera juice at room temperature on the eye 6 to 8 times a day. She reports that within 2 or 3 days the eye is back to normal. She recommends this procedure one day more once the eye is back to normal. Even though this should be administered at room temperature, it is important to store the aloe vera juice in the refrigerator in between treatments. Take out a portion a while before administering it to allow it to warm up to room temperature. Please note this is only for bruised or swollen eyes due to injury. More serious injuries should be treated by an avian vet." - Avianweb.com

Anyway, again, just trying to help.
Please do not leave a negative review as this is the first time I have seen this question today. It was passed over by other Vets, and I am just trying to help.

Thanks,
DrRalston

Expert:  DrRalston replied 2 years ago.
Hey there,
Just following up on our conversation on Just Answer from yesterday.

Did you have any questions for me? You should feel free to ask as many questions as you want. I don't mind. I'm here to help.

If I have helped don't forget to leave a positive review! :)

I might not be online when you return. That's ok. Just leave your question and a message will be sent to me and I will get back to you when I am online again.

Thanks,
DrRalston