Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog seems healthy has a good appetite but I have noticed

Customer Question

My dog seems healthy has a good appetite but I have noticed blood in his faeces
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about seeing blood in your fellow's stool

Of course anyone would be concerned about blood in the stool. Was it fresh, bright red blood or dark, tarry blood? The fresher it appears the closer the source is to his rectum.

The important factor in all of this is how he is feeling. Because he is eating well and isn't vomiting or having other symptoms, that is a positive sign.

Colitis or inflammation of the large intestine, can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. Rarely a mass in the colon can be the cause, or exposure to anticoagulant rodenticides.
The other possible cause would be infected anal glands or a mass in his anal gland.

If he is a young dog I would be most concerned about gastrointestinal parasites which could have been brought out of hiding due to stress related colitis, a food sensitivity or allergy.

I do recommend a bland diet trial. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. If the blood looks bright red and fresh I would add 1 to 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin to each meal as fiber soothes an irritated colon. Feed small meals frequently. Feed until his stools look normal then slowly reintroduce his regular diet. It should take a week to 10 days of slowly adding more of his regular diet and less bland to get him converted back. If the blood returns consider a hypoallergenic diet trial long term.

I also recommend a probiotic like Fortiflora to get his gut bacteria back to normal.

Once his stools are normal I would recommend checking a stool sample for parasites. Make sure it is sent out to the laboratory rather then done in house at the veterinary clinic. Even if no parasites were found I would recommend giving him a broad spectrum wormer like Panacur (fenbendazole), especially if he is a young dog, because parasite eggs and cysts aren't shed with every stool.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.