Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My ten year old munsterlander has great unsteadiness in her

Customer Question

My ten year old munsterlander has great unsteadiness in her back legs and cannot hold her urine. I've been giving her 2mg methylcobalamin twice daily but there's little improvement what do you suggest, please?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Ellie's condition. Because of her age and size, she probably is suffering from arthritis that may be interfereing with the nerve fuction causing the urine incontinence. This is generally treated with aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs and a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin which adds lubrication to the joints and decreases the inflammation that may release the nerve supply. If this is not enough, your vet will have stronger medications to help Ellie with less pain. This will require an xray to eb sure.

Older spayed female dogs can suffer a Hormone Responsive Incontinence which responds to medications such as Proin so it is best to rule this out.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Loretta,

Thank you for your quick reply.

This is my second attempt to reply to you (your system rejected my address so I used my wife's ([email protected]) and you may well have received that and replied. I'll abbreviate this.

Ellie has arthritis in her left stifle following an old accident but none evident elsewhere.

Since I'm giving her 2mg + 2mg methylcobalamin (human sublingual tabs orally) I checked recent research. They're using 1mg/lb body weight - greatly exceeding my dosage but they'r getting nervous repair. Methyl-B12 from a chemical supplier costs over $200 per gram and we're pensioners caring for a (much loved) "Rescue-dog". So we hope there's another course of action.

Sincerely

Pete XXXXXX

Good morning, Peter...sorry about the system....The Methylcobalamin is used usually for diabetic neuropathy and I do not believe that this is the problem for Ellie, Peter. I really believe that the treatment with an anti inflammatory agent such as aspirin or other prescription medications that your vet has along with the daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin will be more effective for Ellie's pain and infammation that may be causing the incontinence....

Does that make any more sense, Peter?