Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog has gone lame in back leg and she appears to be in discomfort.

Customer Question

My dog has gone lame in back leg and she appears to be in discomfort. Can I give her any painkillers or anti inflammatories which are safe?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 years ago.

Hello Los, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Jaz; I'm sure you're quite worried about her.

Yes, you can give her over the counter Aspirin at a dose of 10 mg/lb twice a day as long as she's not currently taking any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication. Aspirin also should be avoided in vomiting dogs.
I usually advise that it be given with food to avoid stomach upset.
The advantage of this drug is that it also has anti-pain properties as well as anti-inflammatory ones.

My only hesitation would be that it might interfere with what your vet would want to prescribe if Jaz needs to be seen for this problem but several doses will not be harmful.

Since it's quite likely that she has some arthritis in her body (given her age) which may or may not be responsible for her current lameness issue, I usually recommend supplements which can help in the long term to help prevent progression of disease.

1. I’m a huge fan of joint supplements such as Dasaquin or Cosequin which are veterinary products specifically formulated for dogs. Quality control is a big problem with these products since what’s on the label is not necessarily what’s in the bottle which is why I mentioned specific brands. These are available on the internet.
2. I also like fish oil supplements but usually recommend veterinary versions such as Welactin and 3V Derm Caps since they are specifically formulated for dogs.

It takes several weeks for these products to build up in the system, so you might not see immediate results. But once started, these supplements should be continued for them to be effective; you wouldn't stop and start them, in other words, like you would drugs...but you may already know this.

3. Another option would be Zeel which is a human combination homeopathic that can be used in conjunction with other NSAID medications and has a very low incidence of adverse effects Dose would be one tablet two to three times a day....I'd go with three times a day for the first 2 weeks, then drop back to twice a day for maintenance.

Alternative therapies such as hydrotherapy, laser therapy, massage therapy and even acupuncture have been shown to be very useful for joint problems although I realize you may not have such modalities available to you, depending on where you live.

I hope this helps and that Jaz receives some relief. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 years ago.
Los:

I’m just following up on our conversation about Jaz. How is she doing? Deb