Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My Chinese crested has a bad eye its watering and gunk my

Customer Question

My Chinese crested has a bad eye it's watering and gunk my two boys started fighting over my girl because she is season
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and Welcome. My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

How long has this eye problem been present for?

JACUSTOMER-l7eufgp2- : Just happened yesterday and he had his eye closed and I thought at first it would open after a little but now it's morning on the next day and it's got a white lump and some gunk in it and keeps watering
Scott Nimmo :

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I would say from your description that the most likely thing that your Chinese Crested would be suffering from is conjunctivitis which is an eye infection sometimes called red eye or pink eye.This can be associated with trauma. Please stand by and I will type up some information on this disease although I would stress that other diagnosis are possible ...

Scott Nimmo :

There are really two forms to consider.

1. Primary conjunctivitis : This is where the infection is in the eyes only, it is usually bacterial in origin although viruses and other organisms can be involved. It will usually respond quickly to antibiotic eye drops put in the eye two or three times a day for five days or so. This is common in the dog and I am suspicious that this is what you are dealing with. ...

2. Secondary conjunctivitis : This is where the eye problem is secondary to another disease process such as distemper. In these case your dog will be showing other symptoms as well which would be likely to be of more concern than the eye discharge. This is much more uncommon ...

Scott Nimmo :

My advice with any eye problem in the dog would be to take her to your vet and have her checked out, you cannot be too careful with eye conditions as they can sometimes go badly wrong.In this case antibiotic eye drops will probably be required which are normally prescription drugs

Scott Nimmo :

In the meantime washing out your dog's eyes { very gently } with luke warm water would do no harm.

Scott Nimmo :

As far as home remedies go I have know clients resolve the issue in the case of mild uncomplicated conjunctivitis by irrigation the eye four times a day with cold tea. The tannin in the tea is a bactericidal agent you see.

Scott Nimmo :

I think that about covers it, usually this sort of situation is no big deal and can easily be resolved with antibiotic eye drops, but you should always take the safest course of action with eye problems as they can sometimes go very badly wrong very quickly ...

Scott Nimmo :

.

Scott Nimmo :

a

Scott Nimmo :

Can I help you further ?