Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery
31531426

we walk our dog on the beach he is a 3 year old XXXXX XXXXX

Customer Question

we walk our dog on the beach he is a 3 year old XXXXX XXXXX cross
in between his front paw pad are a bit red and he is licking one
of his paws and making it sore looks like an allergy as nothing in them
seems a flare up can i give him loratadine from morrison also is there
anything else i could do to relieve him of this itching he is a happy dog
plays well eats well and sleeps well
thanks Sean
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Hi,I'm Dr Steve. I am sorry to hear about tigger's problems.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Licking the front paws is often a sign of allergies in dogs and I have given loratadine at a dose of 1/2 mg per kg orally 1-2 times a day. I have seen fairly good results with loratadine, but in severe cases of allergies some dogs need an allergy injection from the vet. If you choose to try the loratadine and if hte licking gets worse or if no improvement is seen in a few days, you may need to take him to the vet.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Another thing to watch is that if he continues to lick the paw, he can cause a secondary bacterial infection by keeping the paw wet which allows bacteria to overgrow and cause an additional infection on top of the allergies.

JACUSTOMER-jswj20sf- :

so how do i stop him licking and setting up an additional infection which

Dr. Steven Osborne :

I also have clients look very carefully between the toes to make sure there is no sores from a puncture or nothing stuck between the toes that could be causing irritation and making him lick. If the loratadine works then that may be all that is necessary and hopefully he will feel better. One other thing I have clients do is to soak the feet in warm water and use a oatmeal/aloe shampoo and thoroughly suds up the foot and let it sit for 10-15 minutes to help relieve the local irritation in the foot.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

It is difficult to physically keep him from licking. If the loratadine works he should stop licking by morning. The bacterial infection usually occurs after licking for 1-2 days. I have had clients try to wrap the foot, but most dogs will just chew the wrap off. I tell my clients that if the loratadine doesn't work in 12 hours, then it would be best to discuss the allergy injection with your vet. The injection usually works within 12 hours.

JACUSTOMER-jswj20sf- :

is the sea water good for him or keep him out

Dr. Steven Osborne :

If he does get a skin infection, that means he will likely need the allergy injection and your vet can give antibiotics to address the infection as well. Sea water can be irritating due to the salt in the water so for a few days it would be best to not let him in the water.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

I hope this has helped. If you have more questions, please continue. Thanks for the question and good luck.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

If the loratadine isn't helping I have also had clients use benadryl at 1 mg per pound orally once or twice a day, but often if one antihistamine ( loratadine) isn't strong enough then another typically doesn't either ( benadryl), but in a few dogs it may help. It is not a good idea to give both at the same time.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

I have to check on a patient so I have to step out of this chat. I will be back later and again tomorrow to see if you have more questions. Have a nice night.