Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

hamster has exma type ears plus the same spot on his tummy

Customer Question

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Unless we see a rough hair coat which is the most common of the dermatological problems in hamsters and is due to a number of underlying disorders, fighting, and simply age, we would expect skin lesions as you've described in a hamster at the end of his lifespan such as Hammy to represent skin cancer. Melanomas are the most common of the skin cancers of the Syrian hamster.

I'm afraid that there's no effective treatment for such skin cancers. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.