Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my cat name flash shes about 8 or 9 is bleeding frome back

Customer Question

my cat name flash shes about 8 or 9 is bleeding frome back end thou its not bright red i worry as i cantt pay vett bills if we go my hubby is my caere
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, is the blood from her rectum or vagina?
Or are you seeing any wounds beside the rectum or elsewhere on the backside?

Is the blood dripping from her?
Or is she just passing some with feces or urine?

Are you on any benefits?

How is she in herself?
Eating, drinking, behaving normally?
Any lethargy, weight loss, or diarrhea?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its here rectum she keeps lickin it there blood round it b ut not much

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank for the additional information about Flash, Christina.

I am glad that the blood is not profuse or constantly pouring forth from her. I just wanted to make sure that wasn’t the case since a constant leaking of blood can be a sign of rectal tumors or a side effect of late stage tumors (both cases being something we’d want her seen for vet right away). But if we are just seeing some blood around her rectum and she is constantly licking herself (a sign that it issue is causing her irritation and discomfort), then we can breathe a wee sigh of relief and consider some other issues for her.

If she has normal feces, then issues like inflammatory/bacterial colitis and whip worms would be less likely here. And if you have not noticed a change in her urination (straining, producing small amounts, going out of her litter box) then this is less likely to be associated with a bladder infection or inflammation.

And if these can be ruled out, then in Flash's case, I'd be concerned about her anal glands. We can see cats develop infection/inflammation of these glands that cause them to swell like little balloons inside the rectum. If this is not addressed early on, then these can rupture. When they do, they either rupture through the skin (causing a bleeding wound, ((example)) ) or rupture into the colon (causing blood to be seen from the rectum). In either case, they are very treatable and we often can settle this antibiotics and cat safe pain relief (ie Metacam).

In regards XXXXX XXXXX in the meantime, If there is an open wound on the skin, you can also salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) bathe the wound to reduce bacterial contamination. Do avoid using any human pain medications on Flash, since most are toxic to cats and will do more harm then good.

Now you didn't confirm whether you were on any benefits. The reason I ask is because if you are, then there are some options to we can use to get Flash the treatment she needs. If you are on housing or tax benefits, then she is eligible to be seen by the PDSA (They offer this service and tend to work on a donation system rather then providing a payment system, so you can pay as much as you are able). To find the PDSA nearest to you and check your eligibility, you can check HERE.

If you aren't eligible, there is still hope. I appreciate it would be a wee trek, but if you are local enough to London or Grimsby, the Blue Cross (HERE) will see animals in your pet’s situation and as a charity their services are subsidized significantly. London also has the Battersea Dog and Cat Home who offer low cost clinics for pets.

As well, if the above aren't options, then I would advise contacting the local RSPCA branch (LINK ). The RSPCA does have some hospitals that they will see animals directly (ie Salford, London), but if you are too far from an RSPCA hospital, then some branches can still help subsidize or even cover the costs of getting her treatment. They may even be able to help organize a payment plan and refer you to their contracted vet, who will likely have a contracted price range for their charity.

Finally, Cat's Protection (LINK) has a large volume of branches that cover the country and may be able to provide the same assistance for your kitty and yourself if RSPCA cannot.

Overall, Flash’s signs suggest that she may be suffering from a problem with her anal glands. Therefore, it would be advisable to salt water bathe any visible wounds but to contact one of the above organizations so that she can get the kitty safe pain relief and antibiotics she needs. Once you have their support, you will be able to get Flash checked over by a vet. They will be able to pinpoint which differential is to blame here, get her on appropriate treatment to clear it, and get her back to herself by Christmas.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best & happy holidays,

Dr. B.

PS- Milk won't harm her but some kitties are lactose sensitive and it can give them diarrhea. So, you can give it to her but be careful not to give too much.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and happy holidays! : )