Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery
31531426

My 9 year old cocker spaniel has recently started to

Customer Question

My 9 year old bitch cocker spaniel has recently started to smell badly . Her anal glands are emptied regularly but her breathe smells awful and she passes fowl smelling wind . I feed her twice a day on a mixture of good quality kibble and or rice and chicken . This smell problem started about 6 weeks ago . Please help.
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Hi, I'm Dr Steve. As dogs age they can develop body odors that can have different causes

Dr. Steven Osborne :

It is common in older dogs t have bad breath and this can be caused by a buildup of tartar and calculi on the teeth as well as infected gums ( gingivitis) . If you look at her teeth if you see brown or gay buildup starting at the gumline and moving downtoward the tip of the teeth, that is Tartar and calculi. ALso if her gums , especially where the teeth join, are reddened, that is a sign of gingivitis. Both of these conditions cause bad breath and the bacteria present in the infected gums can cause the teeth to become loose and may fall out in time.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

If she has these problems, she will need to have her teeth ultrasonically cleaned and antibiotics for infection. This would have to be done by your vet.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

The gas problem is likely intestinal and even though she is eating a good quality food that she has been on for a long time, again as she ages her intestinal system may become more sensitive and she may benefit from a more easily and completely digestible food. THere are commercial diets available that are more digestible so there is ess by-product and less gas produced. Hills Sciencee diet has oone called i/d ( for intestinal diet) and one called "sensitive stomach" other brands will have similar products . I have my clients use a very high quality brand of food. Some of the less expensive ones use lower quality ingredients to keep the cost down and these lower quality ingredients are often not completely digestible and may not do what she needs.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

THere is one other product that I have used for bad breath ( if her teethe are clean and if she doesnt have infected gums as I mentioned earlier) . THis is called Pet Sweet breath freshener and is added to the drinking water. If she does have tooth problems , then this product will not mask or help with bad breath. I hope this has helped. I will check throughout the day and evening to see if you have more questions. Thanks for your question and god luck .

Dr. Steven Osborne :

god=god

Dr. Steven Osborne :

sorry typo god=good.