Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 6 it old spaniel ties up when out beating for the guns she

Customer Question

My 6 it old spaniel ties up when out beating for the guns she is very fast today tied up for quite a while know about it in horses anything I can do to help this
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Jessie's exercise induced collapse episodes.

Though this disease process is more commonly seen in Labrador Retrievers it can be seen in spaniel breeds as well. It starts with an abnormal or rocking type gait and progresses to rear leg weakness and sometimes all the way to the front leg weakness as well. Dogs are typically very aware during episodes. This is an inherited defect so Jessie should not be bred and her parents should not be bred again, as it may lead to more affected puppies.

It is usually recommended that dogs with this syndrome avoid strenuous exercise that triggers these episodes.
If you choose to continue to try and hunt with her another option is to use a low dose of phenobarbital (2 mg/kg every 12 hours) before participating in strenuous activities.

If you'd like to read more here is a link to an article that discusses the disease, modes of inheritance, and testing methods as well as treatment options:
http://www.cvm.umn.edu/vdl/ourservices/canineneuromuscular/eic/taylor2008/home.html

Please let me know if you have any further questions.