Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

our dog wants to be outside all the time, when comes in she

Customer Question

our dog wants to be outside all the time, when comes in she shakes all over wants to be cuddled , restless and wants to go outside again, pants furiously
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Poppy is suffering from this condition....something has frightened her that you may not be aware of and now we need to work with this.

This is a common trait in some dogs. They develop fears that cause extreme anxiety similar to those anxieties of humans. The only way to get Poppy over this is "Desensitization" which means constant exposure until she realizes that these fears will not hurt her. To do this, first avoid these while making Poppy comfortable in this situation. You may need help in doing this since when you try, as you have experienced, she is too afraid to understand. Purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety.

Thundershirts are useful since this is one of the most common fears causing extreme anxiety and can be very effective.

If this is not enough, your vet will have medication to help Poppy past this. It is good that your vet has examined Poppy so you know there is not a medical issue causing this. Then ask your vet for anti anxiety medication such as Fluoxetine or Buspirone. Then expose Poppy to the things she fears over and over such as taking her in the house, constantly talking in a soft voice and giving treats when she does something positive. Here is a LINK with more tips......You will have to click CLOSE WINDOWS to get into this site.

If you are peristent, Poppy will get over this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta