Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Our 5 year old lab has sarcoptic mange. Our vet prescribed

Customer Question

Our 5 year old lab has sarcoptic mange. Our vet prescribed Advocate 3 weeks ago. She is a lot better, but still scratching quite a lot. We could give Advocate again next week, but she is prone to mild seizures and has had 3 since the Advocate. Our vet is on holiday. I just can't watch her scratching so much. Any ideas?
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Susan :

Hi, I'll help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

Poor Bracken, sarcoptic mange is miserable.

Dr. Susan :

Did your vet give you anything for the itching like prednisone?

JACUSTOMER-jhr85dqz- : No. Just Advocate
Dr. Susan :

I'm surprised that the Advocate would induce seizures, but I would consider switching to another product.

Dr. Susan :

There is one called Stronghold, which has a different active ingredient.

JACUSTOMER-jhr85dqz- : Is there any natural remedy out there?
Dr. Susan :

It is labeled for use once a month, but we apply it every 2 weeks to kill sarcoptic mange.

JACUSTOMER-jhr85dqz- : Our vet will be ac
JACUSTOMER-jhr85dqz- : Our vet will be back on Friday, but I just want to ease the scratching. She is not losing hair and it seems to be generally better.
Dr. Susan :

Let me check into something for you, it will take a few minutes. I know there are over the counter lice shampoos that can help with scabies in humans, but I'm not sure if they are safe for dogs. Let me research that.

JACUSTOMER-jhr85dqz- : Thankyou
Dr. Susan :

Yes, it appears safe to use these shampoos. I have to admit, the reason I even know about these is because I got sarcoptic mange from one of my patients!

Dr. Susan :

It was horrible!

Dr. Susan :

The shampoo that I used contained piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrum extract (containing pyrethrins).

JACUSTOMER-jhr85dqz- : Oh! Goodness! Bracken runs in fields with a large group of labs every day, so that's probably how this happened. Maybe I could look for such a shampoo tomorrow.
Dr. Susan :

Yes, most often there is a wild animal around that serves as the source, and Bracken was unlucky enough to come into contact with the mites in an area that animal frequents.

Dr. Susan :

I'm trying to find if there is a specific brand name in the UK for you to look for. The one I got was a generic.

JACUSTOMER-jhr85dqz- : Thanks.
Dr. Susan :

The two I've found here are LICE and Rexall. I'm not sure how to find an equivalent in the UK!

Dr. Susan :

Well Lyclear Cream Rinse has pyrethrin in it.

JACUSTOMER-jhr85dqz- : I could look at the lice shampoos and see if they contain pyrethrums. Does that make sense?
Dr. Susan :

I think so :) That's what I finally was doing at the Lloyd's Pharmacy website

JACUSTOMER-jhr85dqz- : I'll do that then. Thanks for your help.
Dr. Susan :

You're welcome! Try to get her to let the shampoo sit for about 5 minutes before rinsing very thoroughly

JACUSTOMER-jhr85dqz- : Ok. We'll do that tomorrow. Thanks
Dr. Susan :

Good luck. Let me know if you have any further questions.

JACUSTOMER-jhr85dqz- : Ok. Great support.
Dr. Susan :

Thank you! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.