Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery
33084435

Our 9 yr old female burmese has been losing weight over a

Customer Question

Our 9 yr old female burmese has been losing weight over a period of many months now. We have taken her to the vet, where bloods were taken and kidney malfunction was ruled out.
She has continued to lose ever more weight , now appearing maciated. She does appear to to have a fussy diet nd tends to prefer the jelly than the food. We have tried many varieties to satisfy her but to no avail. She is now vomitting what food of any quantity back up coupled with increased twitching of her head and eyes which also regularly gunge up.
Other symptoms include gagging and obsessive attention seeking, presumably for comfort.
these are all the same as when we took her to the vet before.
We are at our wits end watching our cat wither away to nothing and seemingley there is nothing we can do to help her.
is there anyadvice you can offer.?
thank you
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Bruce :

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with Lucy.

Dr. Bruce :

I'm sorry to hear that she is having this problem.

Dr. Bruce :

There are many causes to weight loss and decreased appetite/vomiting in an older kitty.

Dr. Bruce :

Internal organ disease (kidney, liver, intestine) are all possibilities. Overactive thyroid can cause this. Intestinal malabsorption. Cancer. Severe dental disease.

Dr. Bruce :

First of all, I would recheck the bloodwork if it has been more than a few weeks since it was run. Things can change fast, and it may be possible that the bloodwork wasn't showing changes when it was first run. Make sure that your vet checks urine specific gravity. If the USG is low, that indicates kidneys may not be working right. Also, make sure that T4 is evaluated for thyroid function.

Dr. Bruce :

Also, make sure that your vet does a thorough exam of Lucy's mouth to look for any broken teeth, abscesses or oral masses.

Dr. Bruce :

I would also do x-rays to look for any masses or tumors in the chest or abdomen.

Dr. Bruce :

If nothing shows up, it may be necessary to go to the next step and do an abdominal ultrasound to look inside the internal organs for any abnormalities.

Dr. Bruce :

While you are waiting for results, I would make sure to put her on famotidine to reduce the vomiting, and mirtazapine to help stimulate her appetite.

Dr. Bruce :

I hope this helps and that Lucy is doing better very soon. If you would like to continue this chat, please reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

JACUSTOMER-136cpdlm- :

Hello, thank you for your answer. I had already gained this information from using the internet myself and although I understand that it is almost impossible for you to give an accurate diagnosis without seeing lucy, I do now think the twelve pounds would be better put towards a visit to my vet, I am sure you can understand I am fairly desperate for lucy to gget lucy well again, the prognosis you have given me is no different to what I already know so I would appriciate a refund. I hope that makes sense, your answer is thorough but the same as I can get from a google search. Thank you . Ann.

Dr. Bruce :

Hello Ann. I'm sorry that you feel that my advice was no better than a google search. If you think that asking a licensed veterinarian for help is not worth anything, then so be it. Don't worry about your 12 pounds. You don't get charged unless you "ACCEPT" my answer. Good luck with Dr. Google! I hope that he gives you excellent advice. I'm sure that you will get your money's worth from him!