Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Hi I returned this afternoon from work to find my 18 month

Customer Question

Hi I returned this afternoon from work to find my 18 month old Oxford Sandy and Black sow was off her food looking lethargic, although she did drink the fresh water offered then moved to the "toilet" area of the pen tail down straight. She was fine this morning. I feed and change the water twice a day.
Things are wet here and have been for a week or two She lives with a 12 month old Large Black and usually is on top form. What can I do please?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear that Beauty is not feeling well...I hope this morning she is feeling better. Thsi sudden lethargy tells us that she is probably running a fever. This could be due to a suppressed immune system from the wet conditions that has allowed a bacteria and/or virus to invade usually the upper respiratory areas. If she is still feeling lethargic, start her on aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to decrease the fever and reduce her discomfort. If she will still not eat, consider giving her antibiotics.

Let me know how she is feeling this morning and I may be able to direct you further.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta