Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

6 mouth springer spaniel is eating and drinking.and has no

Customer Question

6 mouth springer spaniel is eating and drinking.and has no diarrhea. But is very lethargic and does seem to have much strength. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. I suspect that vets have been puzzled by Maggie's nonspecific symptoms of lethargy and weakness.

I'm going to need you to play vet for me, please. Please take her rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 38-39.2C. I also need you to check her respriatory rate at rest. It shouldn't exeed 40 breaths/minute.

Finally, is Maggie spayed? If not, are there any signs of heat at this time - swelling of her vulva, vaginal discharge, a marked change in her social behavior? We might attribute her symptoms to her coming into heat if that's possible.

I'll await your reply.