Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my cat is 16 years old and just lately her seams to have

Customer Question

my cat is 16 years old and just lately her urine seams to have blood in it
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Enya having blood in her urine.

Blood in the urine can signify a urinary tract infection, crystals or stones in the urinary tract or a mass in the urinary tract. It can also indicate a clotting disorder, either due to ingesting rodent poison or liver disease (as the liver makes clotting factors), tick borne diseases or autoimmune diseases (body attacking itself) as well. Other possibilities are a systemic infection (throughout the body) such as from a bacterial infection or an inflammatory condition called interstitial cystitis. So she may have something else other than a simple urinary tract infection going on.

Some older female cats get repeated urinary tract infections because they are uncomfortable getting and staying in position to eliminate, thus they do not be fully empty their bladder and that can lead to a urinary tract infection or allow debris, such as crystals, not to be fully flushed out of her bladder.

At this point I do think she needs an examination and at least a urinalysis, ideally with a culture. At her age some blood testing would be a good idea as well to check her organ function as well as for anemia. Ask your veterinarian if their laboratory offers a mini feline senior panel. This is a group of tests that hit the most important, common problem areas in older cats including some liver enzymes and kidney enzymes as well as glucose and a thyroid hormone level.

Cats in pain often don't complain, especially when the pain is slowly developing like arthritis. They often try to accommodate their lives to avoid painful situations.

If her blood tests looks normal and she has no signs of an infection then radiographs of her abdomen to look at her kidneys and bladder for signs of calculi or a mass which can cause blood in her urine, as well as her spine/hips/pelvis would be very nice to look for signs of arthritis.

If she has normal blood tests you but signs of arthritis you could try pain medication to see if it helps her. There is a new nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory that is labeled for cats called Onsior (robenacoxib) you could try to see if it helps. Long term using a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement (like dasuquin) and an omega 3 fatty acid to help control inflammation and improve cartilage and joint fluid health may be very helpful.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.