Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hi, I am wanting to get my dog neautured. I am on employment

Customer Question

Hi, I am wanting to get my dog neautured. I am on employment and support allowance at present due to illness and i know it can be quite costly. Is there any help i can apply for to help with the cost.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now you do have some options that should be available to Lilly and yourself with your current benefits status.

As you noted PDSA is an option since they do offer low cost neutering to their registered clients. To find the PDSA nearest to you and confirm your eligibility, you can check HERE.

Further to this, it is worth ringing your local practice about whether they are participating in the Dog's Trust neutering scheme. This is a scheme from the Dog's trust where they will subsidize the cost of the spay so that you only pay £30. To contact them and get a Neutering Voucher sent you, you can check here (More Information).

Since you have not listed where in the UK you are located, I will just mention that if you are London or Grimsby, the Blue Cross (HERE) may be another option for obtaining a subsidized spay for Lilly.

If the above aren't options, then I would advise contacting the local RSPCA branch (LINK ). The RSPCA does have some hospitals that they will see animals directly (ie Salford, Birmingham, London), but if you are too far from an RSPCA hospital, then some branches can still help subsidize or even cover the costs of getting her spayed. They may even be able to organize transport for Lilly to and from the veterinary clinic (depending on their staffing).

Finally, since you noted a difficulty in getting to the vets to have Lilly neutered (and you don't have any friends or family who can loan their services), I would suggest speaking to the practice you plan to use. They will be able to advise you on local pet taxi services, dog sitters or walkers who may also offer a transport service, and whether they may offer a transport service for pets who may struggle to get in (some do, but not many).

Overall, with your situation, there are options to get Lilly neutered for a small fee. Therefore, I would advise looking into the above since getting her neutered now avoid the risk of pups and the risk of future uterine infections (which tend to require emergency spays when they arise).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )