Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog aged 9 staffie cross was sick yesterday and very listless

Customer Question

My dog aged 9 staffie cross was sick yesterday and very listless and lethargic and slept a lot and not his usual bouncy strong self - today (yesterday now) he has eaten 3 small meals which he has not really wanted but not been sick - all he wants to do is sleep - he has just got off the sofa and fallen onto the floor - I got him up and walked him around but he seems v disorientated almost 'drunk, he looks v worried with his ears back and just stares at me - he is now sleeping again and v quiet and still - he has drunk water during the day but not abnormal amounts - I just don't know what is wrong should I contact my vet as an emergency or wait until morning - or should I just leave him sleep - can u help?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- When you say he is drunk like, is he off balance?
2- Does he have a head tilt?
3- Any other symptoms?
4- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
5- Can you take his rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry I will not need your help any more - can you please arrange to refund my deposit - my dog seemed to be getting worse v quickly and collapsed again - I have rung my emergency vet and taken him to the
Vetinary hospital in Evesham - he has a very high temperature and they admitted him now to put on a drip and to do tests - thank you