Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat walks forward, stops,lifts its head then does a backward

Customer Question

My cat walks forward, stops,lifts its head then does a backward somersault before staggering to its feet and carrying on, Why? The cat is 14
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.

Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Fliss 2. Her backward somersault and subsequent ataxia ("drunken sailor") indicate a severe vestibular (balance) disorder in a geriatric cat. Vestibular disorders are further clarified into idiopathic (unknown cause), peripheral (involving the inner/middle ears), and central (involving the cerebellum and/or brainstem). I would be concerned about a malignant process at her advanced age. I need to consider a partial seizure resulting in her vestibular behavior as well.

A careful neurologic exam is indicated and we're likely to need to MRI such a patient - an advanced diagnostic inappropriate for Fliss 2 in my mind. Please let her vet know what you're witnessing. I'm afraid, however, that we're quite limited as to what we might do for Fliss 2 at this time.

It's 4:30AM here but I promise to reply late this morning if need be.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for this. She disappeared for 3 years and has lived rough. I aim to make her last weeks/months comfortable for her.

Yes, good hospice care at this time may well be the most prudent manner in which to address her.

I'm going to check back with you in a weekfor an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.