gpvet
gpvet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a general practice vet with 13 years of experience dealing with all types of companion animals and small exotics
73965271

I have a 35 month old Gordon Setter and want her to have

Customer Question

I have a 35 month old Gordon Setter bitch and want her to have a litter from her next season-due anytime in next month. What are the benefits of her having the herpes vaccine and are there any dangers to her or pups? When should she have it done? This will be her first litter,I bred her myself and have 6 other Gordons in the house (all homebred). i have not use vaccine before but have heard it is benficisl to do so.
Expert:  gpvet replied 3 years ago.

gpvet :

Hi there

gpvet :

Herpes vaccine is useful if you have cause to consider that she might be carrying the herpes virus. Herpes virus causes small litter sizes, fading puppy syndrome and early feotal loss. If you are not seeing these sypmtoms with your other bitches, then you probably don't have the virus in your household at this time. I tend to only use the vaccine in animals that are either coming from an envoronment where we know this can be an ossue, or if there have been these issues in prevous litters.

gpvet :

When I do use the vaccine we usually see bigger litter sizes and stronger puppies. I have not see any ill effects from the vaccine in the animals I have treated.

gpvet :

The vaccination protocol is to give 1 dose of the vaccine 1 week after mating and one dose 1 week before whelping. We do this in every pregnancy as there doesn't seem to be much longevity to the vaccine.

gpvet :

I hope this answers your questions but if you want any more information please don't hesitate to ask me.

gpvet :

Debbie