Christine-cssm
Christine-cssm,
51872716

Ref: 13801490-43 I forget to add that the 200 grams is for

Customer Question

Ref: 13801490-43 I forget to add that the 200 grams is for two meals a day. The amount of phoo is just on the first walk of the day which is 1 hour+. However, he does love to lick stale wee and every old scent he can find! I take him for another walk around 5pm for approx 30mins he sometimes does a phoo which is always soft or runny. Returning to the mixer, which is wheat gluten and both his wet food and mixer are hypo-allergenic and holistic. The amount of mixer I give him is approx 45grms per meal.
I have been told that I am giving him to much mixer which causes the problem!
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Charlie's loose stools and increased amount of stool.

It is difficult to know whether you are feeding Charlie too much without examining him. Things to look at inlcude if has a nice tucked up abdomen behind his ribs, and if you look at him from the top and he has a waist as well as ribs that are easy to feel, but not prominent just looking at him. Here is a link to pictures that will show what I am trying to describe:
http://www.petobesityprevention.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/DogBCS_APOP.pdf

As far as his chronic loose stools it will be important to describe what sort of loose stools he has to try and localize the problem. Loose stools with mucous or bright red blood point more towards large bowel diarrhea or colitis, whereas just watery stools with no mucous point more toward small bowel disease.

Chronic diarrhea does cause changes in motility of the gut and can lead to reflux and vomiting. It can also lead to bacterial overgrowth in the gut. Probiotics such as Fortiflora or Benebac can help replace appropriate bacteria.

I assume that he has had stool samples checked to make sure that parasites aren't part of his problem. Have any other diagnostic tests been checked?
Has he had a fecal culture to check for abnormal bacteria such as clostridia?
Is he losing weight?

It is quite possible that he has a food allergy/sensitivity or inflammatory bowel disease and that she needs a different low residue, easy to digest food or a hypoallergenic food to be able to properly digest and absorb his food and not have loose stools. I know that you are feeding a high quality hypoallergenic and holistic food but he can be sensitive to those ingredients as well. My own doghas a wheat allergy and if fed things with wheat has voluminous stools that tend to get looser throughout the day and the more stools he passes.
I highly recommend a trial of either Hills i/d or Purina Veterinary Diets EN. These are highly digestible foods, very easy on the gastrointestinal tract. No treats, table food or edible chewies while he is on his food trial. If he does well he can eat these foods for life as they are balanced. Having had 2 dogs with inflammatory bowel disease I have a personal preference for Purina Veterinary Diets EN.

If those diets don't work for him then trying a true hypoallergenic food may be in order. Dogs with food allergies can benefit from Hills z/d or Purina Veterinary Diets HA.

Dogs with inflammatory bowel disease will worsen with stressful situations. There may be times when he will need medications too, such as metronidazole or even steroids if that is his problem, but I have found that a consistent, easy to digest diet is very helpful for long term control.

There are other possibilities too.

Pancreatic insufficiency is another possibility. These dogs have a pancreas that produces a decreased amount of digestive enzymes, and the amount produced can wax and wane in some cases, especially early in the disease process. Testing is by running a blood test called a TLI which checks for digestive enzymes. Treatment is replacement of digestive enzymes at each meal. An easier to digest food would be expected to create less problems with digestion and as such less diarrhea.

Kidney and liver disease can cause loose stools too, but I would expect him to be sicker in general and not eat well.

In short if this has been a chronic problem for Charlie then more diagnostics need to be done. They can be as simple as fecal checks and cultures, as well as a complete blood count and biochemistry profile to assess general health. Or they can be more invasive such as biopsies of his gastrointestinal tract to look for inflammatory bowel disease or infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Christine-cssm replied 2 years ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at [email protected] and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.

The JustAnswer Customer Support Team.