Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My westie dog has been on prednisolone for 2 months he was

Customer Question

My westie dog has been on prednisolone for 2 months he was prescribed them for flea dermatitis , he has put on weight and has a itchy rash , he dont have any fleas , and can he have a reactions to theas tablets and flea spot on as he wes not , like this befor
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Bob. The goal of treatment with prednisolone is to find the lowest dose given as infrequently as possible when addressing a flea saliva allergy. Two months of prednisolone is likely to cause symptoms of Cushing's disease (hyperadrenocortisolism) which include polydipsia (increased thirst), polyuria (increased volume of urine), polyphagia (increased hunger), susceptibility to infections (pyoderma/bacterial skin infection and/or yeast/Malassezia skin infection as well as urinary tract infections), thinning of the skin, and muscular weakness.

You certainly need to stop administering the prednisolone but because he's been taking it so long, it would be prudent to wean him off the drug slowly by giving the same dose every other day for 5 more doses, than every third day for 5 more doses, and then stopping it altogether. I suspect that his itchy rash represents the secondary pyoderma I mentioned above. Shampooing in an antimicrobial shampoo containing chlorhexidine or benzoyl peroxide and administering a systemic antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for a minimum of 3 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs is likely to be prescribed by Bob's vet once he/she takes a look at that itchy rash.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.