Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery
33084435

My 12 month old puppy doesnt sleep well at night he has us

My 12 month old puppy doesn't sleep well at night he has us up every three hours we have to go to work and it is like having a newborn in the house is there anything we can give him to make him sleep.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Bruce :

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with Dylan.

Dr. Bruce :

I'm sorry to hear that you are having this issue with him.

Dr. Bruce :

To be honest, I'm a bit concerned that you are having such an issue with a 1 year old dog. Typically, this getting up every few hours behavior will resolve by the time they are 4-5 months old.

Dr. Bruce :

You don't say whether or not he has been doing this since he was a baby. If this has been going on since he was a puppy, then it would be a good idea to take him to the vet and make sure that he doesn't have a physical problem. If he checks out fine, then you need to get a trainer involved. If he is healthy, but you are getting up and dealing with him every few hours, then he may be doing it just for the attention.

Dr. Bruce :

However, if he truly cannot hold it for more than a few hours, then there is something not right. A 12 month old dog should have no problem sleeping 8-10 hours at night, and holding their bathroom through the entire night.

Dr. Bruce :

Have your vet run a fecal check to look for worms, and a urinalysis to check for any infection. It may be necessary to look further (bloodwork and/or x-ray) if there is a suggestion of any underlying illness.

Dr. Bruce :

If he has not been neutered, then I would strongly suggest doing so. Neutering can help reduce the need to go to the bathroom to some degree.

Dr. Bruce :

I hope this helps and that Dylan is doing better very soon and you can get a good night's sleep. If you would like to continue this chat, please reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.