Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery
31531426

I have a Shitzu pup of 12 weeksI have hadher for 4 weeksFrom

Customer Question

I have a Shitzu pup of 12 weeks I have hadher for 4 weeks From day one she has been climbing the stairs in my house and I did not think anything of it However going to a puppy party at the vet last night, someone pointed out that she has very bandy legs and I have noticed that sometimes when she stands her front leg shakes a bit I am really concerned now as she is very pigeon toed and not sure if this is how this breed is suppose to be I have a Westie and she has straight legs

Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Hi, I'm Dr Steve.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Does her leg shake all the time or just once in a while. Is this time the first time you have seen her leg shaking. I will check throughout the evening to see your reply.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

I see you are still offline. I have some thoughts I would like to leave with you. Shih tzu puppies can have more curved legs than terriers and that can be a breed distinction. Of course, it can be more pronounced in some dogs than in others and there is a chance that she could have an abnormal amount of curvature. It is also possible that if she does have more curve than "normal" it could be putting an unusual amount of stress on part of the elbow or shoulder joint that can cause some mild discomfort and the shaking could be from this.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

This would be something that you would have to have your vet look at to check for a few things. One would be to get an appreciation of how much curvature there is present and if your vet feels that it is "too much" . Another thing to look for is to see if both front legs have the same amount of curvature. If they both have the same , then it is likely to be conformational and something that she was born with. If one leg has more curve than the other, then it is possible that she could have had some blunt trauma to the affected leg and that can cause some curvature as it heals.

JACUSTOMER-spka2gwt- :

Thank you so much for reply, I will take her to the vet

JACUSTOMER-spka2gwt- :

The legs do not shake all the time just sometimes

JACUSTOMER-spka2gwt- :

Is going up the stairs a problem, I have now blocked the stairs just in case

Dr. Steven Osborne :

At this point unjtil you find out how severe her problem is it would be best to liimit her stair climbing and over exercise. Since the legs only shake sometimes, it may occur after she is more active and if she does have irregularly formed front legs, she may be experiencing some discomfort and the vet may be anle to get her some antiinflammatory medicine to help reduce discomfort. Thanks for your reply and I will check this evening to see if you have more questions. If you wouldn't mind, I would appreciate an update after the vet has seen her. THanks for the question and good luck.