Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have an 11 week old vizsla puppy

Customer Question

I have an 11 week old vizsla puppy, he had diarrhea yesterday late pm, and was sick. This morning he was sick again (just bile) and has not pooed at all through night or this morning. He is sleepier than usual 

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, my name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Tell me has Oscar had his vaccines yet ...

JACUSTOMER-fcka47wy- : Yes he had them at 8 and 10 weeks
Scott Nimmo :

Good, that's great, that will go a long way to rule out very serious things like the start of Parvo

Scott Nimmo :

On balance what you should do, just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your pup over sooner rather than later, they are so delicate in this age group and can deteriorate quickly sometimes.

JACUSTOMER-fcka47wy- :

as an update - I have just persuaded him to go to the toilet (it's raining) and he has done a soft but not runny poo, he is refusing water and food though

JACUSTOMER-fcka47wy- :

but generally playing normally now

Scott Nimmo :

If he has been lethargic { sleepy } and being sick then this would normally mean that he is running a temperature and is in the grip of some kind of infection.

Scott Nimmo :

However it is encouraging what you have just posted that he is now playing normally

Scott Nimmo :

That may mean that the original symptoms were just due to something very minor which is now passing ...

Scott Nimmo :

So it could be that you would be taking very little risk if you were just to observe him for the meantime to see how things are going to go ..

JACUSTOMER-fcka47wy- :

should I offer him food?

Scott Nimmo :

Confusing I know but the bottom line is not to take risks in this age group, that said it would do no harm to offer him some small bland meals such as fish or chicken or scrambled egg and if the vomiting stops you can then gradually put him back on his previous diet.

Scott Nimmo :

You should make certain he gets fluids though ...

Scott Nimmo :

Can I help you further ... ?