Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience as a veterinary surgeon
23462335

Hi, we have a rescue budgie who was given the all clear by

Customer Question

Hi, we have a rescue budgie who was given the all clear by SSPCA vet last Tuesday - she came to us on Saturday - she is very quiet and timid but is eating budgie seed. However, there is a clump of poo at her bottom which she is scratching at and is obviously annoying her. I have avoided going near her with my hands, but decided that we should try and clean her. I have not managed to get it off and I was worried that it may be causing her stress - so have returned her to the cage. Should I continue to try and clean her? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry Flo has this problem.

Budgies can get very stressed even with I minimal handling. It is likely this mat of faeces will be causing irritation and should be removed.

However, I would definitely recommend getting this done at your vet. Not only do they have the expertise to quickly remove the dirt but also have rapid access to oxygen on the off chance that Flo faints or stops breathing.

It should cost you very little, if it was me I wouldn't charge but that is upto your vet.

So make an appointment for tomorrow, it might be worth seeing if the SSPCA will sort it out for you.

Dan Makin