Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a 14 week old sprocker spaniel puppy ... He has been

Customer Question

I have a 14 week old sprocker spaniel puppy ... He has been drinking less the last couple of days and today he has started being sick.. He is happy and himself playing with his toys most of the time but every 5 hours or so suddenly starts trying to be sick, he brings up bile but no undigested food, he is still going for a poo but not as often as before and the last time he was trying to be sick it was slightly pink when it came up? But he is showing no signs of being ill either side of these episodes. Please help? Should i take him to an emergency vet? X
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he hacking as if something is stuck in his throat and then he vomits?
2- Can you open his mouth and make certain there is nothing stuck under his tongue, teeth, gums, etc.?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes he is hackling but i thought because of his age it may be that he just didn't know what was happening .. He is still eating his meals as usual and shows no discomfort when he does so. I have just checked all his mouth and cannot see anything under tongue, teeth, gums or at back of throat ..
I'm just scared because of the pinky colour the last time he was sick, it looked like it could have been very very light blood.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is it fair to say that every time he is sick he is hacking/gagging?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes everytime
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Nicola, the hacking/vomiting you are describing is consistent with an upper respiratory infection called "kennel cough." Basically, he has a dog cold. The forceful hacking/gagging is secondary to the inflammation in the upper airway and often will lead to vomiting. This can be caused by viruses or bacterias. I am a bit concern because the blood could be secondary to the infection. Or, it may be something completely different like the ingestion of a foreign body. In this case, I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian in the morning. It does not sound like he is in a life threatening condition right now. If he becomes lethargic, pale gums, anorexic, etc. then have him checked by ER vet, othwerwise follow in the morning with family veterinarian. In the meantime start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours for the next week. You can buy Robitussin over the counter in any pharmacy. Limit physical activity (no running) as this will promote the hacking/gagging. Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter