Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Our three year old cat has been , for the past two years or

Customer Question

Our three year old cat has been , for the past two years or so,scratching at windows, mirrors, furniture, etc., etc.. she also shreads paper. She is a very happy cat except she does clip her Son around the ear every now and then. This can lead to a full blown scrap or he just walks away. Help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that Fifi is feeling some anxiety that is causing her to do this bad behavior. There area couple things you can do to try to discourage this behavior:

First, purchase Feliway at the pet store.This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety. Then purchase long lasting toys such as a Feline Kong. Pay a lot of attention to Fifi and play with her more often. If this is not enough, your vet will have medication to help Pumpkin past this called Clomicalm.

Keep papers away from Fifi or bait them with aluminum foil which makes noises that she will not like. Also, if there are places that Fifiprefers, apply aluminum foil to these areas which will discourage her from this.

In most cases, the Fekiway is enough to decrease Fifi's anxiety so she will stop this bad behavior.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Sorry Susan, I meant Fifi, not Pumpkin...sorry!