Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

Hi i have two GSD,s. One male 7 yrs and a female 2 yrs. The

Customer Question

Hi i have two GSD,s. One male 7 yrs and a female 2 yrs.
The female is very protective of me. She is attacking the male if he comes anywhere near me. I have stopped her and scolded her everytime, but she seems to be getting worse by the day.
Please advise.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.I'm sorry to read of your problem with Stella attacking your male dog. This is a behavioral problem fairly common to the shepherding breeds. They were bred to be protective of the flocks they helped guard by encouraging the natural instinct of wolves to be protective of their packs. Within the packs, wolves have developed hierarchical systems of dominance and aggression that help their survival in the wild. These instinctive behavior patterns sometimes are a poor fit to a modern human family, resulting in the problems you're experiencing. Stella isn't doing anything "bad" she's simply behaving as she's "hardwired" to behave. At age two, she's becoming sexually and psychologically mature and she's establishing her position in the "pack" represented by your family. Apparently your male is an easy-going individual who's not particularly interested in establishing or maintaining a position in the hierarchy, so she's going out of her way to put him in what she considers to be his place. A competent canine trainer could be of great help in teaching you how to teach her not to continue to try to dominate the poor guy, or you can try to do this on your own using two recently developed training aids. D.A.P. (dog appeasing pheromone) is a synthetic pheromone product that has a calming and soothing effect on canine aggression and anxiety. If is available in three different forms, a pray, a plug-in diffuser and collars. I would suggest buying tow of the collars, one for each dog, and either the spray or diffusers to use with the collars for maximal effect. The spray and diffusers must be used in any room of your home in which they spend any appreciable amount of time together. Another highly effective product, Interostop, is also a pheromone product that uses a combination of a very unpleasant hog pheromone (almost undetectable to humans) combined with a very loud ultrasonic noise maker that work together to disrupt and discourage unacceptable behavior. You can read about and purchase both products online without a prescription, and come with good instructions on their use. Used consistently and intelligently, these aids can greatly increase the odds of successfully training Stella not to attack her "pack mate". If you can't get her to stop the attacks in spite of the proper use of these products, a reputable dog trainer should be consulted. Should a dog trainer be required, be sure to obtain reliable references. There are often a lot of charlatans operating in this field in many areas. If you should have any further questions, please let me know.Kind regards,Dr. Bob