Sophie-Vet
Sophie-Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary surgeon working in companion animal practice.
27746029

Hi, We have always had four cats in our house and on losing

We have always had four cats in our house and on losing our older large tom obtained a new kitten. He is now nearly 7 months (neutered early on the advise of our vet) and we cannot get him and our small black female cat to mix. As soon as she sees him she attacks. She is just over 3 years and also neutered.
It's not much of a problem with our other cats - another 3year old female and an 8 year old male rag doll - Neutered.
We have steppad back and kept the two problem cats separated for the last month and would appreciate help in setting up a schedule to try and reintroduce Toby and Betty. Is there a step by step routine we can follow>
Expert:  Sophie-Vet replied 3 years ago.

Sophie-Vet :

Hi there my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a registered veterinarian and I'd love to help sort you out a step by step guide. Can I just ask what part of Europe you are from as it will alter what is available to you.

Sophie-Vet :

I will try to wait for you to come online and hopefully we can chat in a bit.

Customer:

I live in the North East of England, UK

Customer:

Customer:

Sorry - I know there is a time difference but if you could give me a rough idea of a time for answers. This email address is my works one - Im in the office UK time 9am to 5pm, Mondaya to Fridays.

Sophie-Vet :

Hi I am sorry we seemed to miss each other! Uk is great because there is an awesome product I highly recommend called zylkene. You can buy it OCT or online and it is just capsules that are opened and sprinkled on food. Cats don't seem to mind it and for me this works well for cats feliway doesn't seem to touch. I would start this a week before introducing a d then try to introduce for short sessions in asterisk a room as you can. Ideally it should be a large area with multiple hiding places and litter trays and supervise for 30mins 2x day for 5-7d. After this s if all goes well increase the time and widen the area. I usually increase by 30mins-hr every 2-3d until I feel they are getting along well enough to have full run of the home when I am home. You can then begin to see if they are ok for unsupervised time. If at any point they don't get on or g here is . A fight just reevaluate the space for them. Cat nip can help some cats relax an d have fun. I hope this is helpful and if you need anything else at all please just reply and I will do my best to help you. All the best with your kitties, Sophie

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Sophie, thanks for your reply. I have tried Zylkene - I found it on line and asked the vet who provided some for me. I used it for almost 4 weeks with the feliway. Just on Betty as vet didn't think it should be used on the kitten. The last few days we managed to get Betty into the lounge each eveningwhere Toby is kept locked up, fr about 10 minutes and managed to get all of them eating treat biscuits and it seemed to go welll .Betty just looked at him and then walked away and had a good look round the room and a had a brush and seemed really relaxed, unfortunately 10 minutes later Toby walked through the kitcen to the hall and Betty got her eye on him and attacked him. I haven't used the Zylkene for about a month so do you think I should start her on it again and maybe Toby or is he still too young?

Yes I would every little helps! You can up the dose to 2 capsules per kitty. There are stronger short term meds your vet may be able to prescribe if you feel your still not making progress. Amytriptyline or fluoxetine can be used in cats. It can sometimes take the edge off meeting again and allow both to realize 'phew this actually not so bad' and relax. Otherwise lots and lots of hiding places and perseverance should get there in the end. I wish you the very best of luck, Sophie