Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

4 month old puppy german shepherd jumped down to a hard floor

Customer Question

4 month old puppy german shepherd jumped down to a hard floor from 1.5 metres and i grabbed him but he lay squeeling for a minute holding his leg. after five mins he was fine but could not stand on it. he has had a sleep for hour and much better now. he is not in pain whene i touch anywhere and the leg joints all move without causing him pain. should i monitor him closely or race to a vet
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Was it a front or back leg?
2- Is he using the leg normal or is he still lame?
3- How long has it been since this occurred?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

front left leg, it happened now 2 hours ago, he probably still cant walk on it very well but i have had him on his back cuddling him, whilst cuddling i move the joints and felt up around his shoulder, nothing aggrevated him and nothing seems unusual.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Can you get him up and allow him to walk to see if he has a normal gait?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what is a normal gait? I thought maybe should let him sleep without trying to aggrevate it, after some hours then see what hes like standing on it, i would do the same for me and he really is not in pain but ten mins after it happened he could not walk on it for sure.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

again dont know if you received the reply as when i press send it comes up with billing for a second.

ok so if it were me i would rest and monitor after a few hours, but im human and hes a 4 month old puppy. I think best leave him on duvet and when he wants to go to the toilet see what his leg is like then?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Walking without any lameness is a normal gait.

John, if you want to wait until he gets up that is fine. If when he gets up he is not walking completely normal and is still limping I would have him checked by family veterinarian to rule out a fracture. He may have a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury. Rest him, no running or jumping. Family veterinarian will also start him on prescription anti inflammatory medication. If he is not lame and is walking completely normal then no need to rush to the veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter