Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

hello I have a calf it 8 months old , 2 weeks ago I went out

Customer Question

hello I have a calf it 8 months old , 2 weeks ago I went out to the shed it was laying down on the slats with other calfs I started feeding them bull nuts as I do every day I noticed it never got up I went inti it and tried to get it uo but it refused so I noticed it was pulling it sell about with its two front legs so I sort of helped get it out onto a bedded area well now it has this massive swollen back foot but there is blood coming out of is bum can you help .any ideas of what is wrong with it . what could the blood be .
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that your calf is suffering from a serious infection in its rear leg which may be strating to go systemic. This means that the infection has entered the blood stream and will infect all of his organs including the intestinal tract which may be causing this blood from his rear. This disease can also cause a condition called DIC or Disseminated intravascular Coagulation which can cause this bleeding. I know this post is late but very aggressive treatment with IV antibiotics and anti inflammatory medications are very important for teh life of thsi calf.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta