Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Sorry to bother you but I have a 5 year old male lop eared

Customer Question

Sorry to bother you but I have a 5 year old male lop eared rabbit and have just got a 8 week old female lionhead cross Rex. In the future would it be possible to breed from them or would the babies be deformed? PLEASE help me as the last thing I want is for anything bad to happen. I certainly won't breed them if it's too dangerous. Thank you for your time and I hope that I havent wasted your time.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
This is the information you're looking for: http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.com/crossbreeding.php Please read the section "Problems with Crossbreeding" carefully and respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply but I was hoping that there was maybe another site you may know of that could give me more information regarding my question please.

I believe that you're looking for scholarly articles. Most aren't available to the general public but I did find this by googling: http://www.journalofanimalscience.org/content/84/1/58.long I'm not allowed to act as a search engine for you but I can recommend that you google the keywords "rabbit crossbreeding scholar article". These studies are necessarily going to be quite technical but perhaps that's what you're looking for. Good hunting!

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.